X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ★⚽★ LATEST SOCcER NEWS ★⚽★

Bolt could be ‘very good’ defender – Del Bosque

Former Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has backed legendary Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt to become a “very good footballer” but has said he would be better suited to playing full-back.

Bolt, 32, made his debut with Australian A-League club Central Coast Mariners on Aug. 31 playing as a winger. However, Del Bosque, who won two Champions Leagues and two La Liga titles as Real Madrid boss before leading Spain to victory at the 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012, has said Bolt’s qualities are better suited as a full-back.

“With space, he could be a very good footballer,” Del Bosque told the Olympic Channel. “For a team that counter-attacks hard and transitions quickly into open space, sure he could fit in. He could be a full-back that covers a lot of space, but it depends because it’s not just about covering 100, or 60 or 70 metres of the pitch.

“It’s about doing that many times and that requires stamina which I do not know if he has although I’m sure he has prepared. Without a doubt as a full-back with his back towards the crowd and near the touchline, that is probably where he would be most useful.”

Del Bosque has no doubt after watching videos of Bolt in action with the Central Coast Mariners that the eight-time Olympic gold medallist has the right attitude.

“I see a very optimistic player,” the retired coach said. “Someone who is likeable, who is smiling all the time. It’s as though he was living a child’s dream.”

Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo relieved to score first goals since move

Cristiano Ronaldo said he had been thinking quite a bit about scoring his first goal for Juventus and was glad to finally do so on Sunday in the victory against Sassuolo.

Ronaldo, who joined Juve on a €100 million move from Real Madrid in July, had two goals in the 2-1 victory over Sassuolo at the Allianz Stadium, validating coach Massimiliano Allegri’s claim from a day earlier that the forward would finally score.

He scored from a yard out in the 50th minute after Sassuolo’s Gianmarco Ferrari failed to clear from a header, then doubled the lead in the 65th with a low strike into the far corner from 12 yards before Sassuolo pulled one back through Khouma Babacar in added time.

“I really wanted to score, so I’m really happy,” Ronaldo told reporters after the game. “I had a little anxiety [over the first goal], but this is football and the most important thing is winning.

“Of course there was a lot of attention surrounding it, but that’s life. I’m happy. I’m working hard and my teammates are really helping me adapt to this league.”

Allegri said he could see that Ronaldo was excited to finally get the first goal out of the way.

“He came very close in his first three games,” Allegri said at a news conference. “I think he rushed a couple of chances today. It looked like he was absolutely desperate to score.

“Football has a way of evening things out and that was the story of the first goal, with the ball bouncing off the post and sitting up for him. The second goal was brilliant. I’m happy for him.”

Comment

Working...
    X